Hue's Latest Craze - Cakes!

After taking the fondant cake decorating class at Michaels, getting my hands on "The Cake Bible" and joining the author's discussion forum, I've been obsessed with cakes!  Who knew the girl that never really liked cakes would ever get so engrossed in it.  I've learned so much about baking cakes.  So far, my favorites have been the chocolate Mousseline and chocolate whipped creaming icing.  Oh so yummy and smooth!  So below are some cakes I've made (not in chronological order).  The Spiderman and Elmo cakes are listed in Joshua  & Katelyn's birthday post. 

Princess Cake: is cake was for a 3 yr old birthday.  Making the crown was fun!


Little Mermaid Cake for Alice's 3rd Birthday.
3 tiered cake with chocolate / chocolate on two tiers and yellow with raspberry filling on one.  The cake is covered and decorated with fondant & gumpaste.  Ariel was a purchased topper.  The little flounder sitting next to her was made by my mother in law at the last minute.




The bottom flounder is a toy.

Wonderpets Cake for Mark's 4th Birthday.
This cake is a two tiered cake with the top tier being the wonder boat.  The pets are toys and the sail is paper and popsicle sticks.  The rest of the cake is decorated with fondant and gunpaste.  The boat was a little bit tricky to coat because it was tapered on the bottom (it's supposed to be a frisbee or flowerpot bottom).  After watching Ace of Cakes, what I can do next time is make a thicker bottom of foam board (instead of cake) that is tapered and covering that with fondant.  Enough with the tech stuff...






First Chocolate Mousse cake.
This was my first time working with chocolate in a cake as I have never been a big fan of it.  This is is a flourless chocolate cake with bittersweet chocolate mousse, white chocolate whipped cream, chocolate covered strawberries, and encased by a chocolate band.  The band was the most fun to make.  I have to say that after making this cake, I like chocolate much more now (actually, I started liking it after tasting a flourless chocolate cake from Pattie Cakes in Alta Dena .. Yum!).

Billard Ball Cake: 
I purchased a Wilton round cake pan from Michaels and couldn't wait to test it out.  It was very difficult to cover the bottom of the cake with fondant without eventually flattening the bottom.  Ahh... again, I watched Aces of Cake and learned how they keep the ball spherical (by using foam for the bottom semisphere).  

Cupcakes: 
I was playing with my new swirl embossing rolling pin.

Train Cake for Ryan:
This was a last minute cake and I wanted to make a train.  Cake was covered and decorated in fondant.  I didn't get around to putting tracks on and the cake slid from the base on the way to the party.  Luckily, it stayed intact!


Comments

anna said…
Hwazy!!! You are one with many talents! You need to start your own bakery! Those cakes look fabulous!
Anonymous said…
Hue Soo! You are AMAZING!!!! I will be coming to you when I need a cake in the future -judith
Anne Eurose said…
Great job, Hue! You're so awesome! I wish I could taste them...they sound delicious :).
Lucian said…
Very nice cakes. Me and my girl friend are starting to the same thing and looking for comments. http://crazecakes.blogspot.com/
Again lovely cakes!!

Popular Post Testing